Tuesday 26 April 2016

LO1: Draft Articles

In Her Lane?

After a long road of injuries, changing coaches and homes for training, we ask Great British 110 meter hurdler Zara Hohn if she is truly settled and ready to represent Great Britain again this athletics season. And if so how is she looking in preparation towards the Great British and English championships or maybe even the Olympics?

Zara Hohn is a multiple Great British champion that is considered one of the countries very best 110 meter hurdlists at age 26. She has dedicated her life to athletics from the age of 10 and officially started competing at a high level from the age of 17 where she took place in her first international in the junior European championships.

I met Zara at the English Institute Of Sport and she went over her training regime with me regarding various foods and supplements she must consume in order to help her body continue working at a high performance level


Zack Cain


Zack Cain is a seventeen year old up and coming sprinter from Bakewell. He is currently training at the English Institute of Sport as a 100 and 200-meter sprinter. This pre-season has been quite a change for Zack being due to changing coaches before the start of the season. 

Currently Zack Cain is being coached under the supervision of Paul Hohn who has coached other previous GB champions such as Zara Hohn, who is the 6 time Great British indoor champion, and a England international representative.

Zack said to me “Ever since I changed groups at the beginning of the pre-season to train with Paul, I’ve had no intentions of turning back.  My work ethic on the track has increased dramatically and I am even more hungry for success.”.

Since the athletics season has started Zack Cain has achieved 4 P.B.s along with two silver medals in the Northern Athletics championships. This is considered one of the biggest sporting events in the country.

 I asked Zack how he felt having won two silver medals in the Northern Athletics championships, and he said, “Nothing in my athletics career so far has really come close to this feeling, its almost serial knowing how far I have come since the pre-season winter training. I am truly blessed that I am part of this sport and I hope to inspire many more people for the generations to come.”

The outdoor seasons is the hardest part of the whole athletics season due to the harsh outdoor conditions and greater distance to travel in comparison to the indoor season. I asked Zack what how he get ready mentally for an outdoor race and how the conditions play a part in his races.


Zack said to me “The outdoor season is both a challenge physically and mentally for most athletes due to the fact that wind is a major factor of getting legal and illegal times for sprinters. The most important thing to do is to try and push as hard as you can through this physical and psychological barrier in order to try and get the best times possible. I usually prepare myself by listening to music trackside or even discussing methods of the race with my coach.”

No comments:

Post a Comment